Friday, January 21, 2011

The Travesty of Bottled Water


I started drinking bottled water about 15 years ago. I would only drink it occasionally, for example if I was out and needed to buy a drink. I didn't want all the sugar that's in a pop, and I find water so nice and refreshing. But, in more recent years, I've been educating myself about bottled water. There are many issues that are problematic: spring water drains the aquifers which are our future sources of water, bottled water is not regulated for quality, it costs more than gasoline, the plastic bottles cause a lot of pollution, the transportation of it pollutes the environment. The Environmental Working Group has just completed a study of 188 brands of bottled water in the US. Only two brands would disclose the source, method of treatment and purity of their water. Incredibly, every 27 hours Americans consume enough bottled water to circle the entire equator with plastic bottles stacked end to end. For more astounding facts on bottled water check out the EWG link below.


For the last 4 years, I've avoided buying bottled water, and instead, I fill up my Klean Kanteen at home and bring it with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment